Saturday, February 6, 2010

Money, Money, Money, Money...and Sometimes Bad Movies Happen to Good People

Since my last post...um, yesterday...I think that the time I have spent away from my computer is a ridiculously small fraction compared to the HOURS I have spent transcribing interviews and working on assignments...and as it is only the beginning of the term.

I fear this does not bode well for the semester ahead.  But, I remain positive (midterms, after all are still over a month away!) and remind myself that med students have it FAR worse.  (Not that I know that from any sort of real experience, but I do watch Grey's Anatomy - no judgements, please:-)

Alas, I am tearing myself away from my current project (you'll see more on that in posts to come, but I'll give you a one word hint:  "previsualization") to answer a question presented to me earlier today:  "Why did a movie like Hurricane Season, with a seemingly amazing cast, get released straight to DVD?"

Good question.  Here's my take...in brief:

We’ve all seen them:  movies with unfamiliar titles, but stellar casts, hiding amidst the rows of recognizable flix that only months prior played at multiplexes nationwide. 


And every now and then (when we’re desperate enough and our DVR library has nothing to offer except for the twice viewed episode of sitcom X or drama Y that really wasn’t that good the first viewing around)…we rent one.

…and then we usually wish we hadn’t.

The number one reason for this seeming anomaly:  Simply put – sometimes, bad movies happen to good people.

And failing that, if the movie is actually good, the top three reasons for a film landing on the soon-to-be proverbial rental shelf are, in order:  Money, money…and yes, money.

Although representatives from the Weinstein Co. could not be reached for comment, it is difficult to imagine that anything other than money – or rather, the lack thereof – being the sole reason for Hurricane Season’s bypassing the big screen.

Releasing a film theatrically is a costly endeavor, and it’s no secret that the Weinstein Co. has had its share of widely publicized financial difficulties, especially in the last year.  With Hurricane on sister company Dimension’s slate, it seems likely brothers Harvey and Bob made a “cut-our-losses” decision, despite the promise a stellar cast led by Forrest Whitaker might seem to offer.

...and in case you are wondering, yes I do realize it is Saturday night.  Ah, the life of a grad student!

No comments:

Post a Comment