Tuesday, January 26, 2010

New Semester, new approach...and more posts

I left my first Writing and Reporting class of the semester brimming with equal parts stress and enthusiastic anticipation of the months to come.  After pounding away on the treadmill for an hour, I met my friend Samara for dinner at the lovely (and oh-so-tasty) vegetarian restaurant Gobo in New York City’s West Village (try it if you haven’t…seriously!)…and barely stopped chattering away long enough to let my dear friend get a word in edgewise.

The source of all my anxiety/excitement:  Four blog posts per week…minimum.

What can I possibly have to say that much about?  Surely I can’t dive into another post about NBC…haven’t we all heard enough about the Conan/Leno/Tonight Show drama?  And I’m no Nikki Finke…nor do I have connection to the seemingly vast array of “sources familiar with the situation” that has The Wrap shooting me multiple e-mail blasts of “breaking” headlines thrice daily (Sharon Waxman, how do you do it?!).

…but I do have some good contacts from my personal forays in the entertainment industry (sometimes in front of the camera, sometimes – many times - far behind), so, I’ll see where that, and a little ingenuity takes me.

The plan?  To grow my “On the Line With…” series, talking to individuals working in various fields of the entertainment industry about the early years of their respective careers.  I hope to, in part, demystify the process of building a career in this business and "pull the curtains back," to show that, while overnight successes do happen, the vast majority of successful careers are achieved through hard work – it is a business, after all.

Minimum of four posts per week equals roughly 60 posts total…

So, are you along for the ride?  Anyone? 

Stay tuned!  Day two:  starting The List of people I will contact…and hopefully interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment