Sunday, January 31, 2010

Going to Court, Startups, Previsualization, & Week Round-up

The last two days can be summed up in two words: “busy” and “freezing.”

Temps on the East Coast these last few days make me wonder why I chose the Right Coast over the Left to call home.  I’m sorry Weather.com, but when you tell me that it’s “23 degrees, feels like 8,” I would much prefer you just tell me “it’s 8 degrees, hunker down, crank up your heat, and do not - under any circumstances - venture out of doors!”

Then again, had I REALLY understood the concept of 8 degrees, I might not have gotten so much accomplished.

I started Friday by going to the New York City’s Criminal Court at 100 Centre Street to begin work on my investigative reporting assignment – simply, “go to court and write about it.” (That’s grad school for you:  I mean, I get the whole value of “figure it out for yourself,” but sometimes I just want someone to tell me how and I’ll get it done…I’m paying for this, after all).

So, Google map in hand, I braved the chilling cold (how is it the wind, no matter which direction I faced was never at my back), ducking inside a Duane Reade at one point, just to warm up for a moment.

I finally arrived at the courthouse and found the room for the trial.  I’d be attending the proceedings for the young assistant accused of murdering her boss, the famed “Real Estate Agent to the Stars,” Linda Stein, as I’d read the trial was currently underway.  And I knew I’d found what I was looking for when I spotted several photographers standing at the ready to capture photos of the deceased’s daughters…not sure how I felt about that.

Overall, it was a very strange experience – incredibly sad, and I felt just awful, voyeuristic (and not in a good way) for even being there. 

Fortunately, my next meeting was with an old friend, and certainly a spirit-lifter.  I had lunch with a college pal to discuss his latest entrepreneurial venture, and if his track record for success holds, and the idea is as solid as it sounds, it will be a great success.  The company is called Wanduta…and a post is forthcoming!

Following lunch, I raced home for a call with the CEO of a previsualization company in LA – The Third Floor.

“What is previsualization,” you ask?  Well, guess you’ll just have to tune back in to find out…but, suffice it to say that previs guys are the unsung heroes of modern-day moviemaking – really exciting stuff!

I’ll close this post with a wrap-up, highlighting interesting bits of news I read this week:
  • Conan is still tied to NBC:  The Hollywood Reporter posted that the network now infamous for putting O’Brien – and his entire staff – on the unemployment line has picked up a multi-cam comedy (“The Pink House”) AND an hour-long drama (“Justice”)…both hailing from Conan’s production company Conaco.
  • Director Kathryn Bigelow was the big winner at the DGA Awards, beating out ex-husband James Cameron for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film…and making her the favorite for an Oscar win (it’s known that the winner at the DGA ceremony most often takes home the coveted Golden Statue!).  Start placing your bets now!
  • And…if you’ve been keeping up – The Wrap announced Wednesday that Miramax (the independent studio founded by the brothers Weinstein) would close its doors on the 27th, and then updated the news on Thursday with the following:   “A Disney spokeswoman called to protest that Miramax is not 'dead.' ‘Miramax will consolidate its operations within Walt Disney Studios, and will be releasing a smaller number of films than in previous years. But it will continue to operate within the Walt Disney Studios,’ she said.”  The latest news is that Disney is actually looking to sell the indie house…to the tune of over $700 million.  Any takers?

No comments:

Post a Comment